Two woman, Anita Holzberg and Ann Wainwright met over the internet with Bill Costley,
their common friend, whose wife Carolin had been Ann's good friend. Starting in
June '09, Anita sent a Cupcake poem to Ann's website cakecakecake, after seeing
the photo of cupcakes. The poem was about her grandson's first birthday party. Ann
liked that and it was the start of a wonderful exchange of poems from Anita to Ann and
Ann with color, photos, and lay-out savvy, presented them to the blog. Now, in 2010,
the two women so alike in spirit and interests, have started BetweenFriends, a new blog
site where they can combine ideas about their worlds. Ann lives in Northern UK
(Teesside). Anita lives in Northern California, Sunnyvale, (Silicon Valley where all the
computers are.) We share our lives on this blog and hope you will comment and share
yours too, dear readers and enjoy the "ride".

Saturday 29 January 2011

Writing is a Daily Commitment - Anita Holzberg

Writing is a daily commitment I make with myself. I surround myself with words, dictionaries, thesaurus, children’s books, poems, newspaper articles, novels. I find that I write better when I read, whatever it is.

Writing gets to the heart of the matter.
Writing tells a story of the life of the writer.
It is my story that I represent. I should be
able to keep up appearances and images.
More than that, I should be able to tell the truth.

Writing takes its own form. It is not forced. It
goes with my ebb and flow. It captivates the sadness,
reinstates the saneness, cheers the happiness, and stands up for the melancholies. In French they have a word for that,
“malaise”. Good writing should tell about suffering too.

I write to give a record of my life. I first give this to myself and
then give it to others, if they ask to read my work.

Writing is a daily reconciling. Every moment can be written
about because every moment in a life is important.
Writing should be shared. Just as life should be shared. I have a friend Isabelle who likes my writing. It is her support that cheers me, makes we want to write more. I love her for that and many other things as well.

Lastly, writing brings the peace. When good writing encompasses the soul, there is a sense of deep understanding and a sense of serenity, too.

“In truth I come to thee
like the budding rose
The sea of humanity deep
The daily steps
On the ground that was sinking
revisited
the words write themselves
of Jim’s story
which is unfolding
as we speak.”
Anita Schiffman Holzberg
January 28, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment